Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I Woke Last Night to the Sound of Thunder

Last night there was a terrific thunderstorm; loud, bright and long. A particularly loud crack of thunder made me think of Tatiana again.

She was sleeping over my parent's house. It must have been while her mom was battling breast cancer and her parents didn't want her home by herself. I was sleeping in my sister's old bedroom for some reason, and Tati was in my brother's old room.

A thunderstorm started up and Tati scurried in and cowered next to my bed.

"Can I stay in here with you?" she squeaked.

There was a futon on the floor, so she dragged her pillow and blanket in and settled down, at least until the next rumble. She whimpered, so I hung my arm down and held her hand. The storm passed and we both eventually fell to sleep.

It is amazing to me how completely petrified she was. I don't know if it was the loud, abrupt sounds, or that a thunderstorm is completely out of human control, that made her feel so vulnerable. I love thunderstorms for just those reasons.

I have a list of things that remind me of Tati:

No comments: